Sunday, April 1, 2012

Mommy! You have paint in your hair!


{2-year old Carrie, painting at a children's festival}

I'll always remember the year that Carrie learned about April Fool's Day. She was almost four years old when I decided to break her in.

"Carrie!" I said, "You have paint in your hair!"

Those great big brown eyes stared back at me with innocence and bewilderment.

"April Fool's!" I exclaimed, and then proceeded to explain that it was just a joke - a little trick because on this day you could do that...within reason.

Well, she caught on quickly, coming right back at me with my own medicine. "Mommy! You have paint in your hair!"

My sweet girl. Her first April Fool's attempt.

I played it up. "Oh my gosh, Carrie! Where?!? Help me get it out!!!" which triggered mass amounts of giggling before she finally put me at ease by saying, "April Fool's, Mommy!"

Five minutes later? "Mommy! You have paint in your hair!" and I played it up again like it was all brand new. It just never got old for her.

In fact, every year since then, on April 1st, I am guaranteed to get a call or text telling me I have paint in my hair. And just because, I play it up for her April Fool's enjoyment.

:o)

26 comments:

Cheri said...

I can almost hear the fit of giggles from Carrie. How fun!

scrappyjacky said...

Yes.....I'm sure this post will make Carrie laugh.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely smile inducing post x

helena said...

you 2 are adorable!!

Ruth said...

Love this story! Carrie was so cute!!

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

This was so cute! and oh my gosh was she the most adorable child ever!?!

Irene said...

What an adorable memory and picture. Happy April Fool's Day.

debs14 said...

So sweet! One year you need to turn up on her doorstep with paint in your hair for real and see what she says!

Sian said...

Hehe! This is the perfect kind of April Fool - a bit of light hearted fun without any hurt feelings. I love it - what a cute story it makes! Thanks Deb it has given me a smile

Missus Wookie said...

Oh how fun that it has continued all these years! Do love these family in jokes. TFS :^)

Maria Ontiveros said...

You two are the best! And what a great picture of her!
Rinda

Alison said...

Love that you're still keeping up the tradition of 'April Fool's Day'..and Carrie was VERY cute..you may just have given me an idea for next month's story..if I go and write it down now!
Alison xx

Mom said...

My precious little granddaughter! And what a sweet mommy she had/has to keep such a darling story going! Love you both so much! xoxo

Becky said...

What a lovely story - made me smile :) x

Ginger said...

That is a great photo of Carrie to show/share your story :)

Lou said...

you made me smile - great story.

Beverly said...

ohmygosh she was precious and that hair...gorgeous! Great photo to go with a cute story. I love ya'lls relationship.

Anonymous said...

fabulous! love the story and love that you have made an 'in joke' of it!

Margaret said...

Well, your 'do is looking a little blue...

Unknown said...

That is fabulous! So cute.

Lizzie said...

That's cute! You two are so special - you are lucky to have each other!

Karen said...

Great story and just wonderful photo! And Lizzie is right, your relationship is just so special!

furrypig said...

cute cute photo cute cute story cute cute Carrie!

Unknown said...

I don't know what I love more about this post - the story itself or all of the nice comments about me! :) One day you really will have paint in your hair and you won't believe me.

Gem's Crafts said...

What a cute story :)

Melissa said...

What a great story! We often fool each other in our family, so when my Daddy called Sunday evening to say he was in the emergency room with a broken arm, I hung up and called the ER to be sure before I headed out. Unfortunately it wasn't a joke!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...